Assistant Professor (Ricercatore a Tempo Determinato A) at University of Pisa, since February 2016.
- Research Fellow at University of Pisa. March 2015 — January 2016
- Research Fellow at University of Milan, hosted by LAW, Laboratory for Web Algorithmics (NADINE FET EU project). March 2013 — February 2015.
- PhD degree in Computer Science at University of Florence, advised by Prof. Pierluigi Crescenzi (From January 2010 to December 2012). Subject: Algorithms for Biological Graphs: Analysis and Enumeration. PhD defence: April 29th 2013.
- Master’s Degree cum Laude in Computer Science at University of Florence; 1 A.Year instead of the 2 expected (A.Year 2007-2008). Graduation Date: April 29th 2009.
- Bachelor’s Degree cum Laude in Computer Science at University of Florence; 3 A.Years as expected (From A.Year 2004-2005 to A.Year 2006-2007). Graduation Date: September 28th 2007.
- Best Italian PhD Thesis on “Algorithms, Automata, Complexity and Game Theory” 2013.
Italian Chapter of the EATCS (European Association for Theoretical Computer Science).
Activities and Highlights
Author of a book, conference papers, and journal papers on graph algorithms with applications to enumeration, web crawling, bioinformatics, real-world graph analysis, information retrieval, mobile ad hoc networks, and computational linguistic. Check out google scholar to know my h-index or number of citations.
- Enumeration Algorithms: Author of a book (published by Atlantis Press, 2015) and other publications in this field. Co-author of the current best algorithm to list all the paths and cycles in a graph (SODA 2013), improving Johnson Algorithm (1975). Co-author of the current best algorithm to list all the maximal cliques in a graph (ICALP 2016). Coauthor of other several state of the art algorithms for listing basic structures of graphs.
- Web Crawling: One of the BUbiNG developers; BUbiNG is the publicly available web crawler currently with the highest performances (downloading, storing, and managing billions of web pages), developed at LAW (Laboratory of Web Algorithmic), University of Milan.
- Algorithms for Real-World Graph Analysis: Co-author of the current best algorithms to compute: diameter, hyperbolicity, and top-central nodes (closeness centrality) in huge graphs. The diameter algorithm (TCS 2013) has been used to compute the diameter of Facebook networks (1.2 billions of nodes) by Backstrom, Boldi, Rosa, Ugander, and Vigna in “Four degrees of separation” (WebSci 2012) (reported by The New York Times, (325):B1, 21 November 2011).
- Bioinformatic: Collaborator of INRIA (Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et en Automatique) BAMBOO & BAOBAB Team,Université Claude Bernard (Lyon 1), headed by Marie-France Sagot, working on metabolic networks and NGS (New Generation Sequence), designing ad hoc enumeration algorithms.
- Teaching Informatica (programming language C) (first year of Physics Bachelor Degree) at University of Pisa, a.a. 2017-2018.
- Teaching Algorithms and C at Laboratorio di Algoritmica at Informatica (first year of Computer Science Bachelor Degree), a.a. 2016-2017, University of Pisa.
- Teaching Algorithms and Python at Laboratorio di Algoritmica at Informatica Umanistica (first year Bachelor Degree), a.a. 2015-2016, University of Pisa.
- Teaching Algorithms and C at Laboratorio di Algoritmica at Informatica (first year of Computer Science Bachelor Degree), a.a. 2015-2016, University of Pisa.
- Teaching Phd Course on Graph Mining Algorithms, February 2018 at University of Pisa.
- Teaching Phd Course on Algorithms For Big Data (part 2), March 2015 at University of Pisa.
- Takeaki Uno (National Institute of Informatics NII, Tokyo, Japan).
- Invited Researcher at NII from 5th to 21st October 2017
- Invited Researcher at NII from 27th May to 10th June 2017
- David Coudert (INRIA, Sophia Antipolis, France)
- Walter A. Kosters (University of Leiden, Netherlands)
- Henning Meyerhenke (Karlsruhe Institute of Technology – KIT, Germany)
- Collaboration with Massimilano Ciaramita (Google) and Roi Blanco (Yahoo!) on Information Retrieval.
- Collaboration with Giorgio Satta (Università di Padova) and Daniel Gildea (University of Rochester, NY) on computation linguistic.
- BAMBOO & BAOBAB Team, INRIA Grenoble Rhône-Alpes, Laboratoire de Biométrie et Biologie Évolutive (LBBE), and Université Claude Bernard (Lyon 1).
- Visiting LBBE: January 22 — February 5 2011, April 26 — May 7 2011, September 10–17 2011, October 25–30 2011, January 15– May 18 2012, December 16–20 2012.
- Visiting, together with INRIA BAMBOO Team, University of São Paulo (USP) and Laboratório Nacional de Computação Científica (LNCC), Petrópolis, Brasil, March 31– April 16, 2012.
- Visiting, together with INRIA BAMBOO Team, KDBIO Group at INESC-ID, Instituto Superior Técnico, Lisbon. February 15–21, 2012.
- Visiting, together with INRIA BAMBOO Team, hosted by Leen Stougie, at Centrum Wiskunde & Informatica (CWI), Amsterdam, March 5–9, 2012; July 4–10, 2011.
- Laboratoire d’Informatique Algorithmique: Fondements et Applications (LIAFA), University of Paris Diderot, Paris 7
- Visiting Prof. Michel Habib at LIAFA March 19–23, 2012.
Conferences and Workshops:
- SPIRE 2017
- ICCSIT 2017
- WEPA 2016
- LATIN 2016
- GRAPHITE 2014
- SODA 2013
- Dagstuhl Seminar on Epidemic Algorithms and Processes: From Theory to Applications, Dagstuhl, 2013.
- JOBIM 2012
- SEA 2012
- WBA 2012
- TAPAS 2012
- 2nd Workshop of COST (European Cooperation in Science and Technology) Action 295 “DYNAMO” on Dynamic Communication Networks in Dagstuhl 2009
Program Committees and Editorial Boards
- SEA 2018, 17th International Symposium on Experimental Algorithms.
- WWW 2018, 27th International World Wide Web Conference, track Web Search and Mining.
- SAC 2018, 33rd ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, Track on Social Network and Media Analysis (SONAMA).
- FOIKS 2018, 10th International Symposium on Foundations of Information and Knowledge Systems.
- INCISCOS 2017, 2nd International Conference on Information Systems and Computer Science.
- ICCSIT 2017, 10th International Conference on Computer Science and Information Technology.
- COMPLEX NETWORKS 2017, 6th International Conference on Complex Networks and Their Applications.
- CORE 2017, 17th International Congress on Computer Science.
- IIR 2017, 8th Italian Information Retrieval Workshop.
- GOODTECHS 2017, 3rd EAI International Conference on Smart Objects and Technologies for Social Good
- LSDVE 2017, Fifth Workshop on Large Scale Distributed Virtual Environments, Euro-Par 2017 workshop.
- 2nd EAI International Conference on Smart Objects and Technologies for Social Good (Track Session on Open Challenges in Online Social Networks), 2016.
- Referee for the following journals: Algorithms, Bioinformatics, Logical Methods in Computer Science, Journal of Computer and System Science, IEEE Internet Computing, RAIRO Theoretical Informatics and Applications, Theoretical computer science, Transactions on the Web.
- Referee for the following conferences: AAIM, CPM, ESA, FUN, IEEE IPDPS, ICALP, ISAAC, IWOCA, LATIN, MFCS, SEA, SODA, SPIRE, TAMC, WALCOM, WEBSCI, WG.
- Analysis and Enumeration: Algorithms for Biological Graphs. Atlantis Press 2015.
Publications: see http://www.andreamarino.it/?page_id=24
- Professional Engineering Qualification (Information engineering).